Or, How to Get People to Notice Your Book
I’m a new indie author with a book to promote, but I don’t have a lot of money to spend on marketing. So, I’m all about free easy ways to get my name and novel out in front of a lot of different people. Here is a list of things (in no particular order) that have worked for me.
I’m assuming you have a website or a blog already set up.
- Write a press release with a “local girl (or boy) does well” spin and send it to your hometown newspaper.
- Reach out to book clubs and offer your novel for them to read. Be prepared to visit the group for a Q&A.
- Set up an author page on each of the sites you publish on. And don’t forget Goodreads!
- Write an article and be the guest speaker on a blog. Invite other authors to guest on your blog.
- Write interesting and topical blog posts at least three times per week.
- Post an interview with another new, indie author on your blog. Ask if they will reciprocate.
- Give away a free copy of your book through your site or on Facebook.
- Publish your novel on other sites besides Amazon, like Barnes and Noble, All Romance eBooks, Smashwords, Lulu, and CreateSpace.
- Become an expert in social media. Blog, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Tumblr, Google+, etc., etc.
- Launch any new blog series, event, and definitely your latest book release with social media fanfare.
- Comment on popular blogs in your genre.
- Get your novel reviewed by popular book bloggers. If it’s a positive review, use it as free advertising on your site and your author pages.